Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Who are Farah and Ekram Khan?

From the Khan family:

It has come to my attention that rumors are being spread about the character and credentials of my wife and I. I can understand why these rumors have taken on a life of their own. Our children were only enrolled at The Galloway school for 4 months before they were withdrawn. So, many of you don't really know who we are. In addition, we moved here from NJ three years ago. I hope the following does not bore anyone, but it needs to be said.

My wife is definitely the more reserved one in the relationship. ;-) She is originally from Toronto, Canada and left her entire family/friends behind to move to NJ to marry me because I was such a catch! ;-) She has dual degrees in Environmental Science and Business. She worked at a leading hospital in Toronto and then in the banking industry here in the US, quickly rising to the executive levels. Then, she decided to leave the workforce to stay home and give more time to the kids once they started school. She is a stay at home Mom now and works as a consultant for my companies. She has a long history of raising children (she has an older sister with many children) and worked at Montessori schools during her tenure in college. She and I have been discussing the possibility of starting a private school for many years and felt this was as good a time as any to do so. The Newton School is her idea (but I came up with the name - after Isaac Newton) and I am simply lending my expertise in running a business so that an efficient operations infrastructure is implemented. Many of you have met her and know that she is a very warm and caring person and will step up to the task of helping anyone in need.

I am definietly NOT the reserved one in the family - as evidenced by my presence on the blogs and my decision to post comments under my own identity. Part of my personality was formed by being one of eight boisterous children (I am #6) and having to fight for everything I got as a child. Two years after graduating from college, I was injured in an accident and my right leg was paralyzed. I tenaciously pursued treatment and physical therapy for three years and made a 90% recovery. I am no longer the athlete I used to be, but my injury taught me the values of humility, tenacity, and hard work.

I am the founding CEO of a 13 year old diagnostic imaging software technology company, and the co-founding CTO of a dental digital radiography technology company. I hold one patent, 3 software copyrights, and 5 patents pending. I hold a degree in Psychology and Biochemistry, and dropped out of a Master's program in Computer Science for Healthcare Informatics to start my first company. I typically work 7 days per week and average 16 hours per day actively participating in two technology businesses in a highly competitive industry. I have learned much in my tenure in the business world and know that when you need specific expertise to accomplish a defined task, you can find that expertise in very talented people around you. I have formed and managed teams of MIT and Stanford scientists/engineers, as well as entered into partnerships with industry leading companies. Therefore, I am confident I bring relevant business accumen to the task of forming a new private school successfully. It is obvious that neither my wife nor I have formal training as educators. However, that does not mean that we are not qualified to start a private school. If you do a Google search of the leading private schools, you will find that most of them were not founded by educators. My wife and I have identifed highly qualifed educators in the local community who will work with us in establishing a school with a world class curriculum that focuses on preparing children for the highly competitive, technology based future.

Farah and I are simply parents who adore our two children and want the best for them. Just like most of you reading these blogs and trying to make a decision about your children's future. I openly invite any of you to come meet with us at our home and really find out who we are. I think that would be an enjoyable experience and would go far towards dispelling the rumors about us. We have most everything in place for The Newton School, except for the real estate. We are currently in negotiations for two different locations. Frankly, we are waiting to see how many parents would commit to being founding families for The Newton School and enroll their children before I invest a significant amount of money towards the establishment. This is a ground floor opportunity for progressive minded parents to take control of the education of their children and actively participate in running the school. Farah and I hope to have the honor of meeting some of you soon. Thank you for listening...

Best Regards,

Farah and Ekram

2 comments:

  1. You two sound like a very accomplished and wonderful couple. I wish you all the success for your new school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never met Ekram or Farah Khan, but their values seem very similar to mine. Echoing the comment before me, I wish you success with the new school.

    ReplyDelete